Many enjoy the use of communicating and verbalizing our thoughts, hobbies and ideas on a platform that can easily be accessed by various people from the Internet. The easiest and most common way to express yourself is through a blog. Creating a blog can be fairly easy, given the right tools, software and guidance.
WordPress is a free blogging software that you can install on most web hosting packages. Due to its ease, usability, understanding and access, WordPress is the most popular blogging platform that is currently on the Web.
WordPress’ claim to fame is that it takes less than five minutes to install onto your hosting. It can be even quicker once your used to the install process.
Prior to installing WordPress, verify that you have internet access, a text editor program (just in case) and File Transfer Protocol (FTP) software.
To complete the five minute installation process follow these instructions
- Go to www.wordpress.org/download/
- If you are downloading WordPress onto a remote server then download WordPress onto your computer, and unzip the file.
- The next step will involve you creating the database as well as a database user.
- If you need to generate a database manually, then follow the instructions for creating a database from your host.
- If you are using your own webserver, see the phpAdmin or MySQL Client instructions for creating a database.
- Should you just have one database that happens to already be in use, you can still proceed with the install of WordPress, just ensure you have a unique prefix on any tables you have.
- Upload the files to your server.
- Navigate to the domain name and follow the install steps.
- The details you will need to change is the database user, name and password, this will allow WordPress to connect to the database.
- You will then be prompted to fill out the user and site information.
- Remember your username and password as you will need it to login to the admin area of WordPress.
- Navigate to your site address and add /wp-admin to the end of it to login.
- Login using the username and password created in the install steps.
- Now you can proceed to creating your very first blog within WordPress!
- Once you login to WordPress you can navigate to the post section to create your first post.
- After creating your first post, click publish and the view to see the post on your new blog.
- Carry on creating great content and expressing yourself and eventually you will have a great blog!